Skin spots are common as we age. Not limited to any specific area of the body, these flat, brown spots often appear on the face, the hands, the shoulders, and the arms – all areas commonly exposed to UV rays.
Used interchangeably, age and sun spots (also known as “liver spots” and “solar lentigines”) are the same thing. They are caused by high concentrations of melanin clumping in one area – an issue directly related to UV light from the sun, tanning beds, and lamps.
People with lighter skin are at higher risk for developing sun and age spots. Still, they can grow on anyone with a history of unprotected sun exposure, sunburn, and solar sensitivities.
Can Age Spots be Prevented?
You can help to prevent the development of age and sun spots by avoiding unprotected exposure to the sun. This includes:
- Using a high-quality, full-spectrum sunscreen, even when indoors
- Avoiding direct sunlight between 10 am and 2 pm
- Staying covered with long sleeves, pants, and a hat when outside
- Avoiding tanning beds and lamps
These steps can help prevent sun spots and related issues, including dry skin, textural irregularities, and general skin redness. They will not, however, undo damage that has already occurred.
How do You Treat Sun Spots?
Treating sun and age spots requires skin resurfacing. At Advanced Cosmetic Surgery in Leawood, we are pleased to offer a selection of non-surgical treatments to address the issue, including:
- ResurFX™, a non-ablative skin resurfacing treatment that can be used on the face, neck, and chest
- IPL Photofacial, a pulsed-light skin resurfacing treatment that can be used on the face, neck, chest, arms, and legs
- Microneedling, a non-surgical collagen induction treatment that is used primarily on the face
- Chemical Peel, an exfoliation treatment that is commonly used on the face, neck, and hands
- OxyGeneo® Facial, a gentle, three-step facial that can soften sun damage on the face and neck
Understanding that no two patients have the same concerns, Dr. Young has selected a range of non-surgical treatments that can correct several issues at once. A one-on-one consultation at our office is the best way to learn which of these might help you reach your goals.
Please call 913-341-2188 to schedule your consultation at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery today. Located in Leawood, we serve Kansas City, Overland Park, and all nearby areas of Kansas and Missouri.