After having children, you may be eager to restore your pre-baby body with a tummy tuck at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery. You may find that even with regular exercise and a healthy diet, you can’t correct the loose abdominal skin that was stretched during your pregnancy. But how long will you have to wait after childbirth before you can undergo your abdominoplasty? Generally, the answer is six months.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Levi Young has helped many women restore their figures and confidence with tummy tuck surgery. He has been voted one of the top doctors in the Kansas City area and been recognized for excellent patient satisfaction for several years. He customizes each body contouring procedure to meet the unique goals of the patient.
Why Wait Six Months After Childbirth for a Tummy Tuck?
There are a number of reasons why it is generally best to wait at least six months after childbirth to have tummy tuck surgery. Some of these reasons include:
- Time to heal: Carrying a baby to term stretches and rips deep abdominal tissues. The majority of stretching will have healed after six months.
- Post-pregnancy hormones: Estrogen and progesterone are at their highest during pregnancy. These hormones affect your skin’s elasticity for several months. It’s important that these hormones drop to a normal level prior to tummy tuck surgery.
- Lifting: New mothers frequently need to lift their growing babies. This lifting inhibits proper healing after a tummy tuck, and can harm your results. After six months, most mothers are more efficient with lifting their children.
- Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding transfers whatever is in your breastmilk to your nursing child. This is completely safe under normal circumstances, but you can risk your child’s health when you are given an anesthetic.
- Return to normal weight: A woman’s body typically returns to her original weight within six months to a year after childbirth. This time also allows you to develop healthy nutrition and exercise habits. Maintaining a stable, healthy weight helps to determine how much tightening is needed and ultimately leads to optimal results.
Schedule Your Tummy Tuck Consultation Today
If you are considering abdominoplasty, contact Advanced Cosmetic Surgery today online or at 913-586-2538 to arrange a complementary consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Levi Young. We proudly welcome patients from Overland Park, Liberty, and all surrounding Kansas and Missouri locations.