Who Can Benefit From Liposuction?
Fat does not always accumulate evenly throughout the body, leading to unbalanced proportions. Patients who choose to undergo liposuction surgery can enhance their overall shape, create a more proportionate figure, and enjoy incredible, long-lasting results for years.
Lack of Definition
Sometimes, localized areas of fat create a displeasing lack of definition. Liposuction can be performed to define areas such as the chin, jawline, waistline, and abdomen. It can also be used to bring out muscle definition. With liposuction, Dr. Young gives his patients the expertly sculpted, customized body they desire.
Having body fat that resists diet and exercise can be frustrating and disheartening. When fat just does not want to melt away no matter what lengths a person goes to, liposuction is a useful option. Many healthy, fit individuals undergo liposuction surgery to add the finishing touches to the bodies they work so hard on.
Your Liposuction Journey
Liposuction improves body contours over the entire body for a smoother, sleeker silhouette. The following areas can be treated with liposuction:
Face and Upper Body
- Upper arms
For the most favorable results, liposuction may be combined with other body-enhancing procedures, including:
- Tummy Tuck: Liposuction is included in a tummy tuck to remove excess fat in the abdomen and flank areas. By combining these procedures, patients get the most pleasing results from their tummy tuck surgery.
- Mommy Makeover: The Mommy Makeover may include liposuction to various parts of the body to remove unwanted fat accumulated during pregnancy.
- Gynecomastia Surgery: Many men who seek gynecomastia surgery only require liposuction, but sometimes it is paired with glandular excision to reduce the size of the breasts.
- Lower Body Lift: Patients often require liposuction in the thigh and buttocks areas to create a satisfying silhouette that complements lower body lift surgery.
A personal consultation with Dr. Young is the first step in your liposuction process. During your consultation, your physical and emotional health will be discussed. Dr. Young will evaluate your body type to help you determine which liposuction techniques will help you achieve the look you desire. Openly discussing your goals is a vital step in creating the shapely body you want.
Prepare the following items prior to your consultation so Dr. Young can gain a better understanding of your medical history and desires:
- A list of previous surgical procedures, if any
- An outline of past and present medical conditions
- Detailed list of medications you are taking, including herbal remedies and nutritional supplements
Your consultation will include a body exam, during which your proportions and body characteristics will be evaluated to determine the best liposuction options for you. Factors Dr. Young considers include:
- The quality of your skin (elasticity)
- Amounts of excess fat
- Your body enhancement goals
Day of Surgery - You will spend approximately one to two hours in the recovery room immediately following surgery. A licensed adult must drive you home. Dr. Young will provide you with compression garments that must only be removed, if necessary, when using the restroom or showering.
First Week - Soreness, bruising, and swelling are common. Follow all postoperative instructions such as taking medications, maintaining hygiene, wearing compression garments, and avoiding strenuous activity. Limited walking, however, is recommended to promote blood circulation and proper healing.
Weeks Two to Six - Pain and swelling will improve. Some patients feel well enough to work or engage in light activities. It is advised to wear your compression garments for six weeks to promote proper healing.
Long Term - Swelling will continue to improve; however, in some patients, eight weeks or more will be needed for swelling to resolve. You may gradually resume doctor-approved activities like light cardio, but a full exercise regimen should not be resumed for at least six weeks.
Liposuction incisions are quite small, so any resulting scarring becomes nearly undetectable. Dr. Young always tries to place the incisions within the natural contour lines of the skin so they are inconspicuous.
The cost of liposuction varies depending on anesthesia fees, surgical fees, surgeon’s fees, and other relevant factors. The expected cost will be provided at your consultation with Dr. Young.
Postoperative pain is normal following surgery. Pain medications are prescribed to alleviate pain during recovery. All pain will be temporary and will continue to ease as the body heals and swelling subsides.
42 yr old female, 8 weeks post op.
1 year post op.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Fluid accumulation
- Persistent swelling
- Poor wound healing
- Formation of blood clots
- An increased risk of infection
- Impaired blood flow and oxygen intake